Riley Johnson owned the Johnson House, a hotel near the railroad depot in Ogdensburg, NY before the war. Captain Johnson led Company K of the 6th New York Cavalry in Maryland in 1862; they were detailed as Headquarters Escort for General Sumner, 2nd Army Corps.

The hotel photograph is from the Ogdensburg Public Library, published in David E. Martin’s Ogdensburg (Arcadia, Images of America series, 2003); the clipping from the Ogdenburg Daily Journal of 25 March 1885.

Please Leave a Reply